1. Arrival

A rare photo of me without a beer

A’sala-mualay-cum everybody!  Those of you with a keen eye will have already detected that my name is Martin Fullard. I’m a 27 year old British expatriate who has been living in a town called Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates for 4 years.  I had never contemplated moving away from sunny old Blighty until an opportunity to do what I loved presented itself.  I love writing so this blog is an excuse for me to share my experiences of living in this cosmopolitan desert land.  I have been through a lot and seen even more and hopefully reading some of my experiences will help you understand how to adapt and deal with this place.

Upping sticks and moving to another country is one of the scariest things a person can do.  After years of toughing it out at my previous job I decided to pinch my nose, close my eyes and take the plunge with the biggest gamble of my life to date.

Through a close friend and former employer I was offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to work overseas in an industry I thoroughly enjoyed and knew very well.  I was quite uneducated on the Middle East but I was assured that I would be pleasantly surprised.  That didn’t stop me maintaining a degree of apprehension.

After leaving my old job and enduring 2 weeks of limbo (basically a 2 solid week drinking marathon) I awoke  on 25th February 2008 at 5am with what felt like an anchor hitch knot lodged deep within my stomach.  This was it.  The day had arrived.  So long  south-west London, Ahlan Arabian Peninsula.  With a heavy heart and an even heavier suitcase I went out front to load my possessions into my father’s car and soon we were underway bound for Heathrow Terminal 3.

I loath airports; all my previous experiences had obviously been holidays.  But this was different.  I had a one-way ticket in my hand and I didn’t know when I would see home again.  That’s a scary feeling.  Anyway after a brief man-hug with Dad I was heading through the security barrier to endure 2 hours of lone-time torture.

The long walk to the gate was a sad yet reflective one.  What had I done?  I’d left my family, my friends, my job of 8 years, my comfort rut.  What you don’t know is scary, and the dawning realisation that I hadn’t a clue what the hell I was doing hit me like a freight train.  Soon enough I was seated on an Etihad Airways Boeing 777 and as the plane started to taxi the reality of the situation became very apparent.

I had to physically tell myself that this was an adventure and that one day I would return home, if only for a holiday.  I’m not sure how many people choose Kingston-upon-Thames as their summer holiday destination but there was no time to speculate.   Before any of my theories about hi-jacking or exploding could come true we were making our descent into Abu Dhabi.

Before too long I was off the plane and power-walking to border control.  After elbowing the elderly and small children to the floor in a whirlwind of haste I presented my burgundy battering ram to the customs official and turned my attention to the arduous task of waiting irately at the luggage carousel.

I thought I’d make the most of the year-long minutes by seeing if my archaic mobile phone could re-connect me to the world.  After turning it on I was amazed to see that I had some service and promptly set about calling my friend who had agreed to come and collect me.  £7 for a 12 second phone call put paid to any hope I had of letting Dad know I had arrived safely.  Mind you I suppose if I had fallen out of the sky in a ball of flame then he would have caught my fate on the news.

Abu Dhabi isn’t the biggest airport in the world – thankfully – and after about 12 paces I found myself beginning to perspire at an alarming rate.  Thinking it was only one of those needless air heaters you get above doorways in shopping centres and the like I rushed through at speed.  This was no heater.  This was the actual ambient temperature.  At first the hot, humid initiation blast worried me somewhat.  It was 8:30pm, in February.  What was yet to come if this was “nothing”?

I had to wait for only 10 minutes before my friend turned up, by which time it looked as if I had swam here.  I saddled up in the cab to what felt like an alpine gale.

Next stop:  my new home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: